The VII James Joyce Italian Foundation Graduate Conference in Rome
Conference Date: February 6-7, 2014
DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS: November 25, 2013
The James Joyce Italian Foundation invites proposals for the seventh annual graduate conference in Rome. It will be hosted by the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures and Cultures at the Università Roma Tre, to celebrate Joyce’s 132th birthday.
Confirmed speakers are Fritz Senn and Anne Fogarty.
The conference will be the occasion to present unpublished papers and works in progress on Joyce to an international audience. Young and emerging scholars dealing with any aspect of Joyce studies are invited to send proposals for a 20-minute contribution on current trends in Joyce and modernist scholarship.
The general theme of the conference is “James Joyce: the Recirculation of Realism”. Related topics include, but are not limited to:
- Joyce and the realist tradition
- Joyce and the surrealist tradition
- Joyce’s internal monologue as a way to escape/achieve realism in fiction
- Modernism, Joyce and the (im)possibility of realism
- The “air of reality” in Joyce
- The disappearance of the author in Joyce
- Comparative approaches to realism in Joyce
- Joyce, Drama and the dramatic novel
- Challenging realism: Rabelais, Sterne, Joyce…
- Joyce, pulps and modernism
Selected papers will be published. Please send abstracts, 250-500 words in length, along with a short bio-sketch to email@example.com
The Conference includes a Joycean birthday party.
Deadline for proposals: November 25, 2013
Accepted speakers will be notified by December 15, 2013
On arrival, participants will be expected to sign up for membership of The James Joyce Italian Foundation (Students: 25 Euro; Faculty: 35 Euro).