CFP: The X James Joyce Italian Foundation Conference in Rome – 1-2-3 February 2017
Posted by James Joyce Italian Foundation on 03/08/2016
Joyce’ Fiction and the new Rise of the Novel:
The X James Joyce Italian Foundation Conference in Rome
Conference Date: February 1-2-3, 2017
DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS: November 25, 2016
The James Joyce Italian Foundation invites proposals for the Tenth Annual Conference in Rome. It will be hosted by the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures and Cultures at the Università Roma Tre, to celebrate Joyce’s 135th birthday.
Joyce famously described Ulysses as a “damned-monster novel”, a definition that could as well be applied also to his final anti-novel, Finnegans Wake. To a certain extent, it can be argued that all of his prose fiction, from the novellas of Dubliners onwards, is an attempt to stylistically and philosophically challenge the history and the tradition of realism and anti-realism in the novel in any of its multifarious forms.
Confirmed key note speaker: Finn Fordham Royal Holloway University of London
We invite scholars to send proposals for a 20-minute contribution. The conference will be the occasion to present unpublished papers and works in progress on Joyce to an international audience.
Related topics include, but are not limited to:
– Joyce and/vs the tradition of the English novel
– Joyce and/vs the tradition of the Irish novel
– Joyce and/vs the tradition of the European novel
– Joyce and/vs the tradition of the Italian novel
– The novel as autobiography: writing the self
– Joyce and the theory of the novel
– Joyce and the end of the novel
– Joyce’s anti-novels
– Joyce and the novels of the Revival
– Joyce and history
– Joyce, genetic studies and the novel
– Joyce’s novels in translation
– Joyce between realism, surrealism and hyperrealism
– Joyce: word and world
– Joyce between fiction and the real
Selected papers will be published. Please send abstracts, 250-500 words in length, along with a short bio-sketch to email@example.com
The Conference includes a Joycean birthday party.
Deadline for proposals: November 25, 2016.
Accepted speakers will be notified by December 15, 2016.
On arrival, participants will be expected to sign up for membership of The James Joyce Italian Foundation (Students: 25 Euro; Faculty: 35 Euro; supporting members : 70 euro).
Please visit the James Joyce Italian Foundation website for information about the “Giorgio Melchiori Grants”.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.